Sunday 24 April 2016

concepting with context

As I began to start working on the character Nir, I tried to emphasize her feminine attributes without sexualizing her while at the same time portraying her immense strength. Through trial and error I concluded that the compact and stocky body type didn't portray the agile athleticism I intended for Nir which would provide the necessary masculine traits for the feminine frame.
Her armour also needed to be practical while at the same time appealing. I left exposed spaces to highlight her athleticism without sexualizing the character.

 Hatch needed to come across as regal and stoic. I decided to mask his eyes to add mystery to him and imply his stoic nature. I gave him a cloak which suggest regality and I played with how it would drape, with the intent to show the fururistic yet tribal era. His sculpted figure shows his body is as trained as his mind. I wanted to imply his insecurity regarding his identity by masking him and adding the synthetic device on his wrist.
 
Ipa was fun to design, I wanted her to look simple to highlight the technology she is implanted in.

I wanted Shar to look confident and sovereign. He needed to appear different from the other characters as he represents the foreign influence on the indigenous culture. His cloak is inspired by extravagant european cloaks of kings and queens. I altered the shape to reflect the futuristic nature. His glasses represent his unclear motives and decisions, and emphasize his untrustworthy characteristics. He is long and wiry to add to his sharp and cunning personality, [it also suggests he uses his intellect to attain power and control rather than brute strength] his large cloak hides his frail upper body which is a weakness and insecurity of Shar's character.

Venitu needed to appear decrepit and intimidating. I combined several monster silhouettes. Like the other female characters i wanted to mplement masculine traits to her design to highlight the hostility of her character as well as the transition between the decay of the masculine body to the "weaker" feminine as mentioned in the Ann Davies article. The phallic tail combined with the nearly emaciated feminine torso achieves the horror themes of this character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment